A prognostic indicator in some patients with acute myeloid leukemia
This test should not be used to monitor residual disease following treatment.
1. Invert tube several times to mix blood or bone marrow.
2. Send specimen in original tube. Do not aliquot.
3. Label specimen as blood or bone marrow.
Specimen must arrive within 7 days of collection.
The following information is required:
1. Pertinent clinical history
2. Clinical or morphologic suspicion
3. Date and time of collection
4. Specimen source
Bone marrow biopsies
Moderately to severely clotted
This test is not designed for monitoring residual disease following treatment and the following should be noted: the sensitivity of the test is less than other methods designed for residual disease testing and there have been several reports of FLT3 variants being lost or gained in neoplastic cells following treatment.
Mayo Clinic Laboratories
An interpretive report will be issued indicating whether the FLT3 internal tandem duplication (ITD), D835 alteration, or both were detected.
Variant status will be indicated as positive or negative. If ITD positive, an allelic ratio will be reported.